Do You Have an Emergency Kit for Severe Weather?
Severe weather is unpredictable and safety is important, no matter the season! Be prepared, following these readiness tips to guide you, no matter what type of severe weather you may encounter.
Have a Weather Radio
Weather radios are the most reliable way to receive notifications of severe weather in your area in an emergency. Although cell phones, weather apps, social media, and wireless emergency alerts (WEA’s) are what the majority of us depend on for information, they can be interrupted during severe weather. Be sure to properly program your weather radio so you only receive the alerts you want for your county.
Keep an Emergency Supply Kit
An emergency kit can be a lifesaver. Most emergency management agencies recommend supplies for up to three days. The following is a list you can use as a guideline for mitigating disaster effects:
- Water – 1 gallon per person per day
- Non-perishable food
- A simple, manual can opener
- Battery or crank operated radio—preferably a weather radio
- Battery or crank operated flashlight
- Extra batteries and matches or lighter in a waterproof case
- First Aid kit with whistle to signal help
- Clothing, blankets, hygiene items & dust masks
- Important documents. (Copy of insurance policy, bank account info, identification, etc.)
- Plastic sheeting, garbage bags, and duct tape for leaks
- Wrench or other tools to shut off utilities
- Fire extinguisher
Make a family plan
Make sure all members in the household are aware of where they are to go in the event of severe weather. If for some reason the family is separated in the event of a severe storm, have a meeting place established to aid in finding each other amidst the devastation.
Highly Trained with Resources to Handle Storms
SERVPRO of Bartlett / Cordova specializes in severe weather restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition. We can also scale our resources to handle a larger storm or flooding disaster.
Locally Owned & Operated = Faster Response
Since we are locally owned and operated, we can respond quicker with the right resources. This is extremely important because a fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost. Call SERVPRO of Bartlett / Cordova today! We are here to help.